Apr
09
    
Posted (Josh) in All Posts on April-9-2010

The swings of emotions have been crazy and they’ve been in lock step with Ella’s condition.

They were able to get a blood draw this morning through the IV which was a total blessing. They did a full panel and all looked good including white blood count.

Tina and I talked it over this morning though, and felt that Ella’s situation is a lot worse than her last bowel obstruction. With this, we resolved that surgery is going to probably happen. There was discussion of a possible transfer if we wanted to Denver’s Children’s Hospital but we didn’t know if that was the best plan either.

But…

They took another abdominal x-ray…and the intestines looked a bit better. Hmmmm….ok. The PICU attendings said we’ll just do more waiting and seeing. This was a relief.

Until…

The staff confirmed later in the afternoon that the surgeons hadn’t seen the x-ray yet, so the “wait-and-see” approach didn’t have 100% buy in. Well, when the surgeons did look, they weren’t convinced that the intestines were getting better. In fact, they have been more concerned over the bile output coming from her stomach. They indicated that unless this reduces significantly, that surgery is likely going to happen.

So…

Ella is stable, and feeling better because she’s on morphine, but the bile output continues to be significant and her belly is pretty distended. Unless we have a major change in this overnight, it looks like surgery is going to happen.

The doctors here have consulted with our team in Denver which has given them more insight into Ella’s unique situation. This has given us comfort that they have a taste of how complicated she really is.

We would love for Ella to take a turn away from the path of surgery, but we are telling ourselves that it looks unlikely at this point.

Please continue to pray for our precious girl. You love and support means so much to us.

By the way: Sorry for not many pictures and for my blithering posts. I’m running on about 4.5 hours of sleep for the last 48 hours. Tina’s running on 2. Praying we sleep better tonight.

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”



 
Apr
09
    
Posted (Josh) in All Posts on April-9-2010

Ella is stable but still not in a good place. There having problems drawing blood which is critical is assessing her condition. They tried at 2am with no success. There going to try again shortly. If you are up at this hour please pray for a successful draw. Please also pray that Ella’s pain will be minimized and that this obstruction will resolve without surgery.

Please also pray for peace and rest for Tina and myself.

Thanks for the support.