Posted (Tina) in All Posts on May-29-2009

It was nice and warm in Denver today. I had two doctor appointments, so the Bun joined me.

Ella behaved herself for the morning appointment. She stayed in her stroller and entertained herself. That was good since I was getting 4 moles shaved at the dermatologist. The litocaine shot hurt like nobody’s business, but I had the babbling of the Bun in the background to remind me to suck it up. Ella has been through so much that anytime I think that something hurts or is painful, I am reminded that she has been through way worse. I’m praying that the biopsy comes back with no abnormal cells, but time will tell.

We had a short time between doctor appointments and I needed a few items at Target. It was in the same area, so it seemed like a good idea. First, we spent some time in the parking lot. I changed her diaper and fed her while she watched a video. Then, we decided to go inside. We were in Target when she started to get fussy. It seemed like she had gas. That was confirmed when I heard lots of tooting followed by a blowout. The meltdown continued even once she was changed; she was not letting down. When she works herself up, she also starts to retch a lot. I tried investing a few minutes to see if I could calm her down, but that wasn’t working. She seemed tired and cranky. So, I quickly tried to get the few items I needed and ran towards the check out line. All of this occurred over 20 minutes, so she was getting exhausted from crying so much. Even on 2 liters of oxygen, her color did not look great and she was wet with sweat. I felt the weight of people staring at me and it was uncomfortable; I felt like they did not understand. Once we got to the car, I had about 15 minutes before my next doctor appointment so I held her in the air conditioned car and she fell asleep.

When we had to start driving again, she melted down once more. This time though, she calmed down within a few minutes and seemed like she wanted to rest more. It was not a normal nap time, but considering that we were on a field trip, I was not about to stop her. She rested in her stroller during the next doctor appointment and a few minutes of shut-eye seemed to help a tremendous amount.

Thankfully, we did not have any more dangerous diapers on our errands. However, she made up for it this evening with 2 more and one that included changing clothes and the crib. Yikes! But at least we are at home, so it makes the episodes a bit easier to manage.

On another note, her oxygen has been higher since we returned home. We assume that her body is still acclimating back to Denver, but time will tell. She is currently on 1 liter when awake and around 650ccs at night when asleep. Another adjustment: the humidity in California seemed to give her a reprieve as we noted that her retching was less frequent each day. Sure enough, as soon as we arrived in a dry zone again on the drive back (St, George, Utah), the retching came back full force. I would have never guessed that humidity played a part.

We’re hoping for a restful weekend and plan to try and get out with the Bun to enjoy the sun.

Amber Riley on May 29th, 2009 at 9:10 pm #

Hmmm, maybe it is time to move back to So Cal????? 🙂
Her hair is so beautiful! Love the clip.

Kellie on May 30th, 2009 at 3:41 am #

Oh my! We were in Babies R Us one day when Carter started grunting and his face turned bright red. Then, I saw it…coming at me from the depths of the diaper…a blowout! I ran around the store trying to pretend that I didn’t see or smell it and rushed out to the car after praying I didn’t forget anything!

I am glad you were finally able to settle her down. I know that must be scary, but I bet you handled it with grace.

Lesli Richards on May 30th, 2009 at 5:04 am #

That is interesting about the humidity…I wonder if a cool mist humidifier would help the retching?

Poor little thing, and poor little mom! What a rough day for both of you!

Love, Lesli

Joel Snyder on May 30th, 2009 at 8:16 am #

Ella, Sorry to hear that you had some trouble at the store but things happen that way sometimes. Tina it sounds like a rough day but most certainly not boring. I am getting ready to come visit you guys. Love,

Laura Marold on May 30th, 2009 at 9:55 am #

Just checking in and saying hello. It’s so nice that you were able to spend time with family lately and I agree the weather in southern California has been ideal. I’m heading up to seven oaks near Big Bear today for fishing and hiking today and it actually might be a little chilly.
Did I mention that I LOVE the curls in Ella’s hair. She is a beautiful little girl and the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Oh! those trips to Target etc. with a baby! Don’t be too sure about how all the other shoppers feel. Maybe I’m weird but I love seeing babies even if they are crying!! That wouldn’t have bothered me at all.
Love, Laura M.

Julie on May 31st, 2009 at 11:37 am #

Tina, I hope your trip to Target doesn’t discourage you from getting out again soon. It sounds like you both need it. (I used to take Daniel down to Target a couple days a week, just as an outing!)

Stares from strangers are awful, and every mom gets them. I think they’re worse when it’s for bad behavior (as mine have been lately!) rather than just for someone who’s obviously having a hard time. The looks may not have been as mean as they felt.

Wait until she’s four and you’re dragging her out kicking and screaming because she’s not behaving, yet swears she doesn’t want to leave…and lets the whole store know exactly how wrong you are for the action you’re taking.
THEN, notice the dirty looks.

Loren on May 31st, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

Ella is looking like such a pretty girl. Screaming babies through Target all get the look. Unless your the mom whos kid had a meltdown 10 minutes ago. Don’t sweat it. It’s good to know that the retching is related to dry weather. Always thinking of you guys!

Teresa Reed on June 1st, 2009 at 11:08 am #

I Love those curls; she is too cute =) xoxox

Post a comment

Name:  (required)
Email:  (required)