Posted (Tina) in All Posts on November-21-2007

Ella has stabilized since being re-intubated yesterday morning – praise God!

Most of the day yesterday, she was sedated. They tried to place another picc line in her arm, but it was unsuccessful.

Also, the IV line in her foot came out again this morning. So, the nurse had to locate a vein to place another temporary IV. Apparently, the largest visible vein was on her head, thus the bandage.

She had a chest x-ray done this morning, and it does look improved but she still has a long way to go. They did take a blood gas and it was good – ph of 7.54, cO2=47, pO2=71. Based on these results, they did make some adjustments to the pressure on the ventilator.

When Dr. Kays visited Ella this morning, he decided he would take Ella to the OR to place a central line today since they need a more permanent solution for access. After looking at her recent stats and pacing around for a bit, he decided that since he was taking her to the operating room, he would do the nissen surgery and g-tube today. Although the chest x-ray isn’t quite as good as he would like, she is stable enough overall. This came as quite a surprise.

We are told that the surgery will be taking place around 1 or 2pm EST. As always, we will keep you updated with information as soon as it is available.

When I arrived to visit Ella this morning, she was awake and looked comfortable. Her beautiful blue eyes were staring around and her color was good.

She has not required any additional sedation since yesterday when they tried to place the picc line in her arm. The fact that she has not required extra sedation is a good sign: as her parents, we know that this means that she must be feeling better.

As I finish this post, she has peacefully fallen asleep.

Looking around at Ella’s roommates, Par continues to make strides forward – – please continue to pray for his journey.

Also, I had a chance to talk to Jonathan’s mom this morning. She was in the waiting room because they are switching out the ECMO circuit. This is the 2nd time they have switched it out. Right now, Jonathan’s liver and kidney are not performing well. Both of these need to improve before Dr. Kays will discuss the repair surgery. Keep in mind that Jonathan was born on 10/17 and has not had repair surgery yet – – he has not been stable enough. Please pray for Jonathan and his family.

And, please pray for Ella and her surgery. Pray that the Lord would keep her strong and stable throughout the procedure. Finally, Josh and I have not been feeling 100% health-wise the past few days. So, please pray for our health to return – – not quite as much fun wearing masks in the NICU and taking a risk of infecting Ella!

Thanks to all for your love and support during this time.

UPDATE 2:30PM EST (by Josh): Ella was just wheeled off to surgery. Please continue to pray.

Father, we lift up our baby girl to you. We know you are there with her right now. I pray for the skilled surgeons hands, Dr. Kays, Dr. Paddock, and the entire staff. Let you presence be sensed, and let your will be done. We praise you Lord for bringing us this far, and that we even have the opportunity for this procedure to be performed. You are a loving and gracious God, and we know that nothing is out of your control. Thank you Jesus for Ella Renae. Amen.

UPDATE 5:10PM EST (by Tina): I am in the waiting room of the NICU. Brenda, someone who is assisting Dr. Kays, just called the front desk and asked to speak with me. They just completed the central line and now they are beginning to work on Ella’s belly. Ella is doing fine – – she just wanted to call and let us know that everything was progressing along. Thanks for all the support and prayers.

Psalm 92:1-5
1 It is good to praise the LORD
and make music to your name, O Most High,
2 to proclaim your love in the morning
and your faithfulness at night,

3 to the music of the ten-stringed lyre
and the melody of the harp.

4 For you make me glad by your deeds, O LORD;
I sing for joy at the works of your hands.

5 How great are your works, O LORD,
how profound your thoughts!

UPDATE 7:00PM EST (by Tina): Dr. Kays just called up to the NICU wait room. He let me know that Ella behaved herself during the entire procedure and that they were able to get everything completed. They are on their way to bring Ella back upstairs to the NICU. Although he was short and did not give any details, at least we know that Ella remained stable and that the procedure is finished. I hope to see Dr. Kays a bit later to see if I can get some more information. Thanks for the prayers.