Posted (Tina) in All Posts on August-30-2007

We went to see Ella tonight. When we arrived, she was turned on her left side hugging her pink monkey, Julep. It was cute. Although her bow was missing, so we had to make her another purple bow.
These days, they are trying to switch her to different sides every 4 hours or so. Since she was on her left side when we arrived, all the fluid in her head had shifted, so her left eye was swollen shut.
While we visited, the nurse shifted Ella onto her right side. By the time we left, the fluids had started to shift and she was able to open her left eye too.
Her blood gas levels tonight were in range: 57 on the cO2 and 94 on the pO2. The cO2 is still a bit higher than they would like to see, but is still in the acceptable range. The nurse mentioned that Dr. Kays had called in this evening to check on her too and was pleased with her stats for the evening.
Roger, Ella’s former ECMO technician, stopped by to visit and see how Ella was progressing. If you remember, he is the one that went and found the pink and purple material that Ella has been wearing for headbands and bows.
Roger made mention that he thought Ella might need some other color choices for bows. He walked back with some orange material with blue happy faces on it. He mentioned that he thought Ella should have a new bow on Saturday, given that it is the first Gators game (the team colors are orange and blue).
In case you do not know, Gainesville is a HUGE college town and the University of Florida Gator fans are everywhere, even in the NICU. We might just have to humor Roger and make Ella a new bow for Saturday, so she can show her Gator spirit too.
We are trying to be patient and wait on the Lord for the results we would like to see. Please continue to pray for reduced fluids and swelling along with continued strength for Ella’s lungs.
Thank you so much for your support and prayers.
Hebrews 4:16: “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
Romans 8:25: “But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.”

Posted (Tina) in All Posts on August-30-2007

Ella sustained throughout the night. She is hanging on the best that she can with her stats. There has not been sign of any fluid reduction. Her head is still very swollen. Dr. Kays will be looking for fluid reduction by mid Saturday or Sunday, to see if the new meds were effective.

Her cO2 levels continue to be higher than they would like to see (68, versus 40). So Dr. Kays decided to turn up the amplitude on the ventilator this morning to see if that will help her.

As Josh mentioned yesterday, we are thankful that her lungs are cooperating at this stage of the game and not completely giving up. Sometimes with all the fluid surrounding them, they can decide to not work well!

Please pray for fluid reduction overall, for her head swelling to reduce and for her lungs to hang in there while we solve the fluid/swelling mystery!

Also, for Dr. Kays – – that God will provide wisdom and discernment. This issue is not one that is frequent and the steps we are taking to try and fix it are somewhat experimental!

We are holding out hope that we will find a solution soon.

Psalm 33:22 “May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.”